Event: The National Weather Watch Center of the Ministry of Agriculture has issued a severe weather advisory for the period of April 9-11, 2021. Continuous moderate to heavy rain showers are anticipated across Guyana with periodic high intensity rainfall events anticipated over coastal areas. Forecasted conditions coupled with high tide could result in flooding in low lying, poorly drained and riverine areas. Hilly areas may experience landslides as soils become heavily saturated.
Actions to take:
- Avoid flooded and low-lying coastal and riverine areas.
- Do not drive through large areas of standing or moving water.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Place sandbags where needed.
- Unplug all electrical items which may come into contact with floodwaters
- Call the Civil Defense Commission, 24 hours National Emergency Monitoring System (NEMS) on 623.1700, 600.7500, or 226.1114 to report flooding in your community.
- U.S. Embassy Georgetown, Guyana +(592) 225-4900 (24 hours)
- ACSGeorge@state.gov, U.S. Embassy web page
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 202-501-4444
- Guyana Country Information Page
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook