Location: Throughout Guyana
Event: The National Weather Watch Centre in Guyana is reporting that frequent to continuous rain, showers and thundershowers will be experienced across all regions of Guyana today, with the Northern parts of the country experiencing more severe weather. This may cause landslides and severe flooding.
U.S. Embassy personnel were advised that the combination of normal high tides and high waves may increase the chance of “overtopping” of the river and sea defense. A flood and high tide advisory remains in effect until November 08, 2020.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid flooded and low-lying coastal and riverine areas.
· Do not drive through large areas of standing or moving water.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Place sandbags where needed.
· Unplug all electrical items which may come into contact with floodwaters.
· Call the Civil Defence Commission, 24 hours National Emergency Monitoring System (NEMS) on 623.1700, 600.7500, or 226.1114 to report flooding in your community.
U.S. Embassy Georgetown, Guyana
+(592) 623-1992 (after hours)