Event: The Government of Guyana has declared a Flood Emergency in response to the flooding that has impacted all regions of the country, in particular regions 2, 5, 6, 7 and 10. Georgetown is expected to continue experiencing periodic high intensity rainfall/thunderstorms in the coming days.
Actions to take:
- Avoid flooded and low-lying coastal and riverine areas.
- Do not drive through large areas of standing or moving water.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Place sandbags where needed.
- Unplug all electrical items which may come into contact with floodwaters
- Call the Civil Defense Commission, 24 hours National Emergency Monitoring System (NEMS) on 623.1700, 600.7500, or 226.1114 to report flooding in your community.
- U.S. Embassy Georgetown, Guyana +(592) 225-4900 (24 hours)
- ACSGeorge@state.gov, U.S. Embassy web page
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 202-501-4444
- Guyana Country Information Page
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook