Event: A flood warning is issued for flood-prone areas over the next few hours due to ongoing rainfall that is expected to continue until Thursday, May 14, 2020. The Hydro meteorological Department of the Ministry of Agriculture has issued flash flood warnings for flood-prone areas along the coast while hilly areas may experience landslides. The Civil Defence Commission is advising residents in high-risk communities to remain alert and exercise the following precautionary measures as the department continues to monitor the weather.
Actions to take:
- Avoid flooded and low-lying coastal and riverine areas.
- Do not drive through large areas of standing or moving water.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Place sandbags where needed.
- Unplug all electrical items which may come into contact with floodwaters.
- Call the Civil Defence Commission, 24 hours National Emergency Monitoring System (NEMS) on 623.1700, 600.7500, or 226.1114 to report flooding in your community.
- U.S. Embassy Georgetown, Guyana +(592) 225-4900 (24 hours)
- ACSGeorge@state.gov, U.S. Embassy web page
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 202-501-4444
- Guyana Country Information Page
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook