Location: Georgetown, Guyana
Event: Meteorological sources indicate the city of Georgetown and its outlying areas will experience heavy rainfall (up to four inches per day) which is expected to continue from Friday, December 10, 2021, through Sunday, December 12, 2021. Flooding is expected.
U.S. Embassy Actions: U.S. Embassy Georgetown has authorized an early release for staff at 2:00pm on Friday, December 10, 2021.
Actions to take:
- Avoid flooded and low-lying coastal and riverine areas.
- Do not drive through large areas of standing or moving water.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Place sandbags where needed.
- Stock up on emergency supplies.
- Unplug all electrical items which may encounter floodwaters
- Move electronics, vehicles, and other valuable possessions to higher ground or safer areas.
- Ensure your cellphone is charged and working.
- Ensure your pets are in safe locations with adequate food and water.
- Call the Civil Defense Commission, 24 hours National Emergency Monitoring System (NEMS) on 623.1700, 600.7500, or 226.1114 to report flooding in your community.
- U.S. Embassy Georgetown, Guyana +(592) 225-4900 (24 hours)
- ACSGeorge@state.gov, U.S. Embassy web page
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 202-501-4444
- Guyana Country Information Page
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook