Lost/Stolen or Expired Green Cards

Permanent Resident Cards (commonly known as Form I-551 Green Card) can be issued or replaced only by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the United States. The Embassy is unable to issue a replacement Green Card. If you left your Green Card in the United States and you are outside of the United States, you should ask a friend or relative there to send you the card by express courier.

Lost Green Cards: If you have lost your Green Card, and have been out of the U.S. for less than 12 months, the Visa Unit may be able to issue you a Boarding Foil which would allow you to return to the United States.

To apply for a boarding foil, you must create an account and schedule an appointment by following the instructions at https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gy/iv/information/lpr_help. The following documents will be required at the appointment:

Be sure to read the instructions before you apply, as the fee is non-refundable.

  • Police Report if your Green Card was lost or stolen in Guyana
  • Statement (affidavit) explaining what happened to the Green Card
  • A passport valid for at least six months
  • One recently taken colored photo measuring 2 inches X 2 inches (full view)
  • Travel itinerary or e-ticket for return trip
  • Evidence of your last departure from the United States
    • U.S. Entry and Exit stamps in your passport showing “A” number
    • Airline tickets, boarding pass/flight itinerary

Boarding foils are issued within 1-2 working days, provided you come with all the required documents and have paid the filing fee in advance. The foil is valid for 30 days.

Expired Permanent Resident Cards: If you have an expired permanent resident card with a 10-year validity period, you do not need a boarding foil. The airline may board you with the expired card, providing you meet all their other conditions for travel. If your expired card did not have a 10-year validity, and you have been out of the U.S. for less than 12 months, you may follow the instructions above to apply for a boarding foil.

You should not leave the United States again until you have applied for and received your new card. You can apply for your replacement card electronically through the USCIS website.

IMPORTANT REMINDER: Boarding Foils may be issued only to Permanent Resident Aliens who are returning to the United States after an absence of less than one year. If you have been out of the U.S. for more than one year, please refer to our Returning Resident Visa Section.