Updated Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Georgetown, Guyana (March 17, 2020)
Event: In connection with the Coronavirus (COVID-19) global pandemic, the Guyana Civil Aviation Authority announced a new flight restriction on March 17, 2020. From midnight, Wednesday, March 18, 2020, the Georgetown flight region will be closed to international flight arrivals for a period of fourteen (14) days, except for outgoing flights, cargo flights, medevac flights, technical stops for fuel and special authorized flights.
The U.S. Embassy advises U.S. citizens with plans to depart Guyana to depart as soon as they can, while commercial flights remain available.
The ongoing COVID-19 outbreak is having significant impact on travel around the globe. The World Health Organization has reported seven coronavirus cases in Guyana to date. See the Guyana Ministry of Health guidance for additional information on the latest measures in Guyana.
On March 14, 2020, the Department of State allowed for the voluntary departure of non-emergency U.S. government employees and their family members. Due to reduced staffing that went into effect March 14, only emergency U.S. Citizen Services and emergency visa services are available at U.S. Embassy Guyana: https://gy.usembassy.gov/message-for-u-s-citizens-disruption-of-routine-services-at-u-s-embassy-guyana.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Stay at home if you are experiencing symptoms or believe you have been exposed to the virus and contact the Guyana Ministry of Health at 227-4986/624-3067.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Georgetown, Guyana +(592) 225-4900 (24 hours)
- ACSGeorge@state.gov, U.S. Embassy web page
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 202-501-4444
- Guyana Country Information Page
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook