Victims of Crime

Guyana Police: 911
Guyana Fire Department: 912
Ambulance Service: 913
Emergency Dispatch (“Impact”): 225-2317 / 227-4064
Police Quick Response Hotline: 225-6411
Police Headquarters: 226-2487 / 226-2488 / 227-4656
Crime Investigation Division: 225-3560 / 225-8196
Address: 99-100 Young & Duke Streets
Kingston, Georgetown, Guyana
Business hours: 7:30am – 4:00pm
Daytime phone: +592 225-4900
After-hours emergencies (American citizen emergencies only): +592-225-4126 or +592-225-4127
American Citizen Services (ACS) email: Use our ACS Navigator
ACS website:

If a U.S. citizen is the victim of a crime in Guyana, contact U.S. Embassy Georgetown and the local police to report the incident. Consular officers are available for emergency assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When someone becomes the victim of a crime overseas, he or she may suffer physical, emotional, or financial injuries, and might not be near their usual sources of support. The Embassy’s American Citizen Services (ACS) unit is committed to helping U.S. citizens who experience crime in Guyana, and our staff can provide a range of assistance to crime victims.

U.S. Embassy Georgetown can help:

  • Replace a stolen passport: Adult replacement passports are USD $145 and children’s (under age 16) replacement passports are USD $115, payable in US dollars, Guyanese dollars, or credit card at the Embassy. Emergency passports can be issued on the same day in case of urgent travel needs. All passport applicants will need to bring one 2×2” photo and the appropriate fees. Passport applications are available at the Embassy or online at
  • Contact family, friends, or employers
  • Obtain appropriate medical care
  • Address emergency needs that arise as a result of the crime
  • Explain the local criminal justice process
  • Connect crime victims to U.S.-based resources
  • Provide a list of local lawyers and medical providers

We cannot:

  • Investigate crimes
  • Provide legal advice or represent a U.S. citizen in court
  • Serve as official interpreters or translators
  • Pay legal, medical, or other fees

Resources and Information for Crime Victims upon Return to the United States

All U.S. states have victim compensation programs. However, only some states offer benefits to victims of crime overseas. Most states’ compensation programs require the victim to file a report at the time of the incident, and to provide a copy of that report with their application for compensation. Programs may include financial assistance to pay for:

  • Medical costs, including counseling
  • Lost income or loss of support
  • Funeral or burial expenses
  • Expenses related to the repatriation of remains

Information about each state’s compensation program and how to apply for benefits is available from the National Association of Crime Victim Compensation Boards at

In addition, some U.S. cities and communities offer programs to help residents who are victims of overseas crime, including:

  • Rape crisis counseling programs
  • Shelter and counseling programs for women
  • Support groups and bereavement counseling for family members and friends of murder victims
  • Diagnostic and treatment programs for child abuse victims
  • Assistance for victims of drunk driving crashes

Contact Information for Victim Assistance Programs

Disclaimer: The U.S. Department of State assumes no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the organizations whose names appear below. This referral does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation of the U.S. Department of State.

General Victim Assistance

Sexual Assault

Domestic Violence

  • National Domestic Violence Hotline – Toll-free 24/7 hotline for crisis counseling and referrals: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).
  • U.S. Department of Justice Office on Violence Against Women – Information about local domestic violence victim assistance coalitions.
  • National Coalition Against Domestic Violence – The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (303-839-1852) offers a safe home and shelter programs, public education, and technical assistance. They also have a list of state and international organizations that can assist domestic violence victims.
  • Pathways to Safety International – The center serves abused Americans, mostly women and children, in both civilian and military populations overseas. The 24/7 international crisis hotlines 1-866-USWOMEN (1-866-879-6636) or 833-SAFE-833 (833-723-3833) can be called toll free from overseas.
  • International Directory of Domestic Violence Agencies – Global list of abuse hotlines, shelters, refuges, crisis centers and women’s organizations, plus domestic violence information in over 90 languages. Note: The agencies and organizations listed on this international directory have not been vetted by the U.S. Department of State or another federal agency.

Families and Friends of Murder Victims

Victims and Families of Drunk Driving Crashes