The U.S. Embassy is ready to assist family and friends in the event of the death of a U.S. citizen in Guyana. The American Citizen Services unit can:
- Confirm the death, identity, and U.S. citizenship of the deceased.
- Notify the next-of-kin.
- Provide information about the disposition of the remains and personal effects of the deceased.
- Prepare documents for the disposition of the remains in accordance with instructions from the next-of-kin or legal representative.
- Send the Consular Report of Death Abroad to the next-of-kin or legal representative for use in settling estate matters in the United States.
For detailed information on requesting a Consular Report of Death Abroad, please click the following link: Consular Reports of Death.
Disposition and Repatriation of Remains
When a U.S. Citizen dies in Guyana, the body is usually preserved until instructions are received from the next-of-kin regarding the disposition of remains. There are normally two options:
- Cremation in Guyana and interment or scattering of ashes in Guyana, the United States or other location
- Embalming in Guyana and air shipment to the United States or other location for burial
Please note that embalming and mortuary services in Guyana may not meet U.S. standards. Families are advised to consult with a funeral director in the United States about the advisability of viewing remains and conducting an open-casket funeral.
More information including approximate cost of services can be found in the Disposition of Remains Report Guyana (PDF 114 KB).
Funeral Homes in Guyana
Disclaimer: The U.S. Embassy Georgetown assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the funeral directors, morticians and other service providers.
Lyken’s Funeral Home
218 Norton Street
Tel: + (592) 225-9263, 225-9763
Merriman’s Funeral Home
55 Lime & Bent Streets
Tel: + (592) 226-4535, 227-6340
If you need emergency assistance, please see our Emergency Contact information page.