Citizenship Services

Welcome to the Citizenship and Passport Unit of the U.S. Embassy Georgetown.


What Service Do You Require?

U.S. citizens are REQUIRED to schedule an appointment online for all Citizenship and Passport Services as well as for Notarials and Authentication services. We are unable to accommodate walk-in applications. NOTE: Applicants who arrive more than 30 minutes late for their appointment will be required to reschedule their appointment online.

U.S Citizens picking up Federal Benefits checks, processed passports and Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) may do so on any Monday through Thursday from 10:00 a.m to 11:00 a.m..

Please use our ACS Navigator if you would like to request an appointment to renounce your U.S citizenship.


Section 349(a)(5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) (8 U.S.C. 1481(a)(5) is the section of law governing the right of a United States citizen to renounce his or her U.S. citizenship. That section of law provides for the loss of nationality by voluntarily

“(5) making a formal renunciation of nationality before a diplomatic or consular officer of the United States in a foreign state , in such form as may be prescribed by the Secretary of State” (emphasis added).


A person wishing to renounce his or her U.S. citizenship must voluntarily and with intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship:

1. appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer,

2. in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate); and

3. sign an oath of renunciation

Renunciations that do not meet the conditions described above have no legal effect. Because of the provisions of Section 349(a)(5), U.S. citizens cannot effectively renounce their citizenship by mail, through an agent, or while in the United States. In fact, U.S. courts have held certain attempts to renounce U.S. citizenship to be ineffective on a variety of grounds, as discussed below.


A person seeking to renounce U.S. citizenship must renounce all the rights and privileges associated with such citizenship. In the case of Colon v. U.S. Department of State , 2 F.Supp.2d 43 (1998),the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia rejected Colon’s petition for a writ of mandamus directing the Secretary of State to approve a Certificate of Loss of Nationality in the case because he wanted to retain the right to live in the United States while claiming he was not a U.S. citizen.


Persons intending to renounce U.S. citizenship should be aware that, unless they already possess a foreign nationality, they may be rendered stateless and, thus, lack the protection of any government. They may also have difficulty traveling as they may not be entitled to a passport from any country. Even if not stateless, former U.S. citizens would still be required to obtain a visa to travel to the United States, or show that they are eligible for admission pursuant to the terms of the Visa Waiver Pilot Program (VWPP). Renunciation of U.S. citizenship may not prevent a foreign country from deporting that individual to the United States in some non-citizen status.


Persons who wish to renounce U.S. citizenship should be aware of the fact that renunciation of U.S. citizenship may have no effect whatsoever on his or her U.S. tax or military service obligations (contact the Internal Revenue Service or U.S. Selective Service for more information). In addition, the act of renouncing U.S. citizenship does not allow persons to avoid possible prosecution for crimes which they may have committed in the United States, or escape the repayment of financial obligations previously incurred in the United States or incurred as United States citizens abroad.


Citizenship is a status that is personal to the U.S. citizen. Therefore parents may not renounce the citizenship of their minor children. Similarly, parents/legal guardians may not renounce the citizenship of individuals who are mentally incompetent. Minors seeking to renounce their U.S. citizenship must demonstrate to a consular officer that they are acting voluntarily and that they fully understand the implications/consequences attendant to the renunciation of U.S. citizenship.


Finally, those contemplating a renunciation of U.S. citizenship should understand that the act is irrevocable, except as provided in Ssection 351 of the INA (8 U.S.C. 1483 and cannot be canceled or set aside absent successful administrative or judicial appeal. (Section 351(b) of the INA provides that an applicant who renounced his or her U.S. citizenship before the age of eighteen can have that citizenship reinstated if he or she makes that desire known to the Department of State within six months after attaining the age of eighteen. See also Title 22, Code of Federal Regulations, section 50.20).

Renunciation is the most unequivocal way in which a person can manifest an intention to relinquish U.S. citizenship. Please consider the effects of renouncing U.S. citizenship, described above, before taking this serious and irrevocable action.


What is a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or CRBA?

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship. It is issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). In simple words, applying for a CRBA is the way a U.S. citizen can transmit his/her citizenship to a child born abroad.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. We also encourage you to apply for your child’s U.S. passport at the same time you apply for the CRBA.

To see if your child may qualify for U.S. citizenship at birth see Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship at Birth by a Child Born Abroad and Birth of U.S. Citizens and Non-Citizen Nationals Abroad.

For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please send an email to and ask about Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship.

The CRBA application process:

  1. Make sure you are eligible to apply for a CRBA online, under Eligibility Requirements for online CRBA application. If you are not eligible to apply for a CRBA online email us at for further information.
  2. Prepare all the forms, supporting documents, and fees mentioned in the list under Application Requirements.
  3. Apply for a CRBA online as directed under How to apply online.
  4. Attend the CRBA appointment. Bring all required documents.
  5. Once the CRBA application is approved the CRBA will be delivered through our designated courier mentioned under Courier Information.

Eligibility Requirements for online CRBA application:

To apply, your child must have been born in Guyana and one or both parents must travel to U.S. Embassy in Georgetown, Guyana for the in-person interview.
To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST answer all the following criteria with YES.

  1. Was the child born in Guyana?
  2. Is the child under the age of 18?
  3. Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
  4. Can you use an internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
  5. Are you a biological parent of the child born abroad for whom you are applying for?

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029) at Email us at for further assistance.

How to apply online:

You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at U.S. Embassy in Georgetown. This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.

  1. To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov account. MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal. Watch this video to learn more about creating your account.
  2. Once you create a MyTravelGov account, access eCRBA and submit your application online. The online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions to complete the application.
  3. Review the required documents for the CRBA application using the checklist below under Application Requirements.
  4. Complete the online application and submit payment. Wait 72 hours after payment and email us at to schedule an appointment. This provides time for your payment to be processed prior to your CRBA interview.
  5. Attend your in-person interview appointment with your original documents and their photocopies (single-sided in A4 size paper). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the interview appointment. Generally, both parents also attend the interview.

Application Requirements:
Parents typically choose to apply for the child’s U.S. passport at the same time they apply for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad. The list below covers both the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and the U.S. passport application.


  • From U.S. citizen parent: Proof of U.S. citizenship. This can include a U.S. birth certificate, a U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a U.S. Certificate of Citizenship, or a U.S. Certificate of Naturalization. You should submit the original or a clear photocopy of your document with a U.S. notary seal.
  • From U.S. citizen parent: U.S. passport/s and previous Guyana passport: Either submit the Originals or U.S. Notarized copies of all pages (even if they are blank) of all passports (U.S. and Guyanese).
  • From Non-U.S. citizen parent: Government issued valid photo ID (such as passport, driving license, national ID.).
  • From mother: Prenatal documents and hospital records (e.g., ultrasounds, prescriptions, evidence of pre-natal doctor visits, hospital discharge documents, vaccination card, etc.).
  • From both parents: Original marriage documents. Marriage Certificate.
  • From both parents: Original and copy of U.S. notarized divorce documents of parents (if applicable).
  • Progression photos for the child since birth to – present
  • For child: Original registered birth certificate.
  • Fee: The CRBA fee is 100 U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Guyana dollars. If you are applying for a CRBA online, you can make the payment online.


  • Completed and un-signed form DS-11: You must fill out the form Passport Forms (, print a hard copy and bring it to your appointment. Do not sign the form – you will be asked to sign the form during your appointment.
  • Completed Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent: Only submit this form if one parent is unable to appear for the interview. This form must be completed, signed, and notarized by a U.S. notary public. Passport Forms (
  • Completed DS-5525: Statement of Exigent/Special family circumstances (Only submit if one parent cannot or is unwilling to provide consent). Passport Forms (
  • For child: Two 2” ×2” passport photos for the application. Click here for more information on photo basics. U.S. Passport Photos (
  • Fee: Passport fee for a minor is 135 U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Guyana dollars. You must pay this fee in cash and in one type of currency at the U.S. Embassy on the day of the appointment.

Application tips:

1. Fill out all forms correctly. Incorrectly filled out forms will not be accepted. If you submit incorrectly filled out forms your application may be delayed or denied.

2. The child must be accompanied by one or both parents on the day of the appointment.

3. Bring all originals and photocopies (single sided in A4 size papers). Please do not use two-sided printing.

4. Make sure there is no black spot on the forehead of child in their passport photo.

5. When completing the “Mailing address” section on our passport forms, please list an address in Guyana.

6. When completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our passport forms, please list an emergency contact in the United States.

7. During the processing period, a Consular Officer may also request additional documents in support of your application.

CRBA and Passport Delivery or Pick Up:

  1. When the CRBA and passport are ready for pick up, you will receive a notification email from the U.S. Embassy.
  2. Upon receiving this email, you may collect the documents from the American Citizen Services Unit, on Wednesday and Friday between the hours of 10.00am to 11.00am. Don’t forget to bring your fee receipt and ID with you.
  3. As always, you have the option of allowing an authorized person to pick up your passport on your behalf. The authorized person must bring a government issued Identification along with a written authorization letter.

U.S Embassy Georgetown,
Guyana Office
99-100 Young & Duke Street
Phone: +592-225-4900-9

Need Help?

We are here to help!

• Watch this video to create a MyTravelGov account.
• You can view a presentation overview of how to apply using eCRBA here. (PDF 270KB)
• You can access eCRBA Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) here.
• Have questions that are not covered in the FAQs above? Email us at