March 14, 2022
Location: Stabroek and Bourda Markets, Georgetown, Guyana
Event: The city of Georgetown is rated “critical” for crime. Incidents of robberies, sexual assault, vehicle accidents and homicides have occurred, particularly in high-risk areas after dark.
U.S. mission personnel may not independently visit Stabroek Market. Furthermore, Mission personnel have been advised to use extreme caution when visiting Bourda Market during the day and may not independently visit Bourda Market at night.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid high risk areas.
- Minimize movements after dark.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Provide your colleagues and family with your daily plans and how to reach you.
- Do not leave any valuables inside your vehicle.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Report crimes or attempted crimes immediately to the local police in Georgetown by dialing 911 or the Guyana Police Force Quick Response Hotline at +592 225-6411.
- U.S. Embassy Georgetown, Guyana
+(592) 623-1992 (after hours)
U.S. Embassy web page
- State Department – – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Guyana Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter