Event: Guyana will hold national elections on Monday, March 2, 2020. The U.S. Embassy is not aware of any planned demonstrations, but it is possible that large crowds could gather at polling places and other public venues. Host country security and law enforcement will likely have an increased presence during the elections and roadblocks could be encountered. U.S. government personnel have been advised to take precautions to prepare for any unexpected disruptions to their normal routine.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large gatherings and demonstrations, as even peaceful demonstrations may quickly turn violent.
- Monitor local radio or television reports for up to date information.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Practice personal preparedness as outlined in this link
U.S. Embassy Georgetown, Guyana
+(592) 623-1992 (after hours)
U.S. Embassy web page
- State Department – – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Guyana Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter