Updated Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Georgetown, Guyana (April 8, 2020)
Event: The U.S. Embassy continues to monitor the current situation in Guyana with respect to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are aware of the hardship land and airspace border closures have created for U.S. citizens who need to return to the United States. We have been exploring all options to address the current travel disruptions since Guyana closed its airspace to commercial flights on March 18. To date, we have requested special permission from the Guyana Civil Aviation Authority to operate service for four commercial relief flights to transport Americans and their families home.
We are requesting government permission for another special commercial relief flight operated by Eastern Airlines to offer service between Georgetown and Miami on Tuesday April 14, 2020. If you are a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident currently in Guyana who wishes to depart, we strongly encourage you to consider taking this flight or prepare to shelter in place in Guyana. We will not be able to offer this service indefinitely and cannot promise additional flights will be either available or approved throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
For those travelers with interest in next week’s flight – we strongly encourage you to complete this online form (copy hyperlink and open in Chrome browser) if you have not done so already. Please do not travel if you have COVID-19 symptoms; follow Guyana’s Ministry of Health instructions identified below.
If you encounter issues completing the online form (listed above), you can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Return Travel to the United States.” If emailing, please include the following information for each U.S. citizen or U.S. legal permanent resident guardian accompanying minor children in your family or group.
The U.S. Embassy in Guyana has updated the COVID-19 country specific information sheet you can find here.
See the Guyana Ministry of Health guidance for additional information on the latest measures in Guyana.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Stay at home if you are experiencing symptoms or believe you have been exposed to the virus and contact the Guyana Ministry of Health at 227-4986/624-3067.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- S. Embassy Georgetown, Guyana +(592) 225-4900 (24 hours)
- ACSGeorge@state.gov, S. Embassy web page
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 202-501-4444
- Guyana Country Information Page
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook