Last updated: 10/01/20
- The Government of Guyana announced an overhaul of COVID-19 emergency measures on September 30. Changes include a later curfew, from 9:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m., with stores and businesses able to remain open until 8:00 p.m. International airports remain closed to routine passenger travel until October 11, 2020. Restaurants are permitted to open for outdoor dining, delivery, drive-thru, curbside pickup and take out until 8:00 p.m.; indoor and buffet dining remain prohibited. Face masks are required to be worn in public spaces. The revised measurestook effect fromOctober 1 and will last until October 31,2020.
- On August 14, the Ministry of Education announced that schools will be closed for face-to-face learning until further notice. All of the University of Guyana’s classes for the first semester of academic year 2020-21 starting from October 5, 2020 will be instructed online.
- A full list of operational details is available here and the full text of the emergency order is available in the official Gazette.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
Anyone entering Guyana must receive prior approval by completing a repatriation form and providing a copy of their negative PCR COVID-19 test (taken within seven days of the scheduled flight). These two documents must be sent to the Guyana Civil Aviation Authority and approval must be granted prior to your flight. https://www.gcaa-gy.org/
Guyana’s international airports remain closed until October 11, 2020, to all international flights except for outgoing flights, cargo flights, medical evacuation flights, technical stops for fuel only, and special authorized flights. Eastern Airlines received special authorization to operate weekly flights to New York and Miami; passengers may book flights through www.goeasternair.com.
- ACS services being offered:
- We have opened additional appointments for American Citizen Services. Please schedule through our websitehttps://gy.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/citizenship-services/appointments.You must wear a cloth face covering and comply with social distancing during your appointment. Please arrive at the embassy 15 minutes prior to your appointment. No walk-in customers are accepted.
- U.S. citizens, U.S. Legal Residents, and U.S. visa/ESTA holders are authorized to book their own tickets for commercial relief flights to the United States through www.goeasternair.com. You do not need to contact the embassyand can purchase tickets directly from the airline.
- Visa services being offered:
- U.S. Embassy Georgetown is now resuming visa operations in phases under the State Department’s Diplomacy Strong framework and local guidelines. In September 2020, we resumed scheduling nonimmigrant and immigrant visa interview appointments, giving priority to certain categories of visas. Appointments for some categories of routine visas, including visitor visas for vacation travel (B1/B2) are still limited at this time.
- You can schedule your visa appointment through our website: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/ or call center at 1-877-246-6788 (local) or 703-988-5765 (U.S). The Machine Readable Visa (MRV) fee validity dates have been extended to December 31, 2021.
- For the latest public health best practices and COVID-19 statistics in Guyana, please consult the Guyana Ministry of Public Health.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Guyana Civil Aviation Authority
- Other links:
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- U.S. Department of State Country Information on Guyana
- U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory for Guyana