In Guyana, the Fulbright Foreign Student Program is administered by the U.S. Embassy. The Embassy re-launched the Fulbright Foreign Student Program in 2019. The scholarship gives Guyanese citizens the opportunity to complete a Master’s or PhD at a higher education institution in the United States.
The U.S. – Guyana Fulbright program aims to foster cultural understanding between our two countries. Therefore, preference is given to applicants who do not have extensive experience (six months or longer) in the United States.
These studies are funded for up to 22 months (two academic years, pending: final approval by the Foreign Scholars Board (FSB), a successful application for a J-1 visa; receipt of medical clearance; successful academic placement at a U.S. institution of higher education by the Institute for International Education (IIE); and availability of funds.
Basic requirements for the scholarship are:
- Be a citizen of Guyana.
- Have graduated with a bachelor’s degree, BA / BS or master’s degree (or equivalent).
- Have a grade point average of 3.5 or above.
- Possess leadership skills, high motivation and ease to adapt to new situations.
- Demonstrate commitment to your community through community service, volunteering or other activities.
- Do not have United States citizenship or permanent residence in the United States.
- Priority will be given to candidates who have minimal experience in the United States.
- Be eligible for a J1 visa.
- Commit to return to Guyana for two years after completing studies in the United States.
What expenses does the scholarship cover?
The scholarship covers the costs of the visa, travel, accommodation, university tuition costs, GRE testing and medical insurance. Students from Guyana are eligible for funding for up to 22 months (two academic years). Candidates who seek a doctoral degree will be required to secure funding for the remaining portion of their program, through either university funding, scholarships personal funding. More information can be found at: https://foreign.fulbrightonline.org/about/foreign-fulbright
Calls for applications are announced on the Embassy’s Facebook page.